The Brunch Club

The days following Chinese New Year have passed by in a flash. One moment I'm learning the fundamentals of econometrics, and the next m...

The days following Chinese New Year have passed by in a flash. One moment I'm learning the fundamentals of econometrics, and the next minute I'm sitting in the exam hall figuring out how on earth my professor expects me to conjure an equation out of thin air. They say time passes the fastest when you're having fun. As much as I enjoy learning, scratching my head over regression formulas does not qualify as fun. If this is considered fast, how much quicker will legitimately fun times pass? *clings on to my youth with fervent despair*

Despite what seems like so much to accomplish in such little time, academically speaking, it never hurts to stop for a bit and do something that actually qualifies as fun. This, in my dictionary, is defined as eating. I'm sure both you and I know where this is heading; I went for brunch. 

The modern-day brunch culture as we know it signifies dropping ourselves off at a chic cafe, ordering gilded versions of the classic Eggs Benedict and a cuppa, and devouring them in an unintended homage to the chef and the barista respectively. Let's not forgetting the mandatory flatlay which, by the time we're done with, makes our food turn cold. But do it for the gram, right? 

In my visits to various cities in Australia (aka the Motherland of Brunch), brunch by my observations seem to have become a norm, in a sense that customers typically dine with an eat-and-go mentality. That's not to say they don't bask in the ambience of the cafe, but rather that they don't have to; with brunch spots at every other corner of the city, who needs to? 

Then there are the Singaporean diners, some of whom have proclaimed the title of cafe-hopper. Singapore has turned the brunch culture into a whole other league. It's glamorous, it's full of fancy new coffee flavours, one commemorates his meal with an Instagram post, and for the most part, you have to dress up for it. If my description sounds negatively connotated, that's not to say I'm against Singapore's brunch culture at all. Perhaps the perceived glamour stems from the fact that the 咖啡店 is our natural habitat. The singlet-wearing, kopi-o-drinking, caipeng-gorging lifestyle is one with which we are all too familiar with. Any setting that's fancier motivates us to dress up - which could be a blessing in disguise, seeing as we Singaporeans are often criticised for shamelessly strutting down Orchard Road in shorts and slippers. 

Indeed, I'm not one to say no to dressing up. 

Hence the outfit. And hence the pictures.

On the flip side, by the time our food had arrived I was famished, and no longer bothered to fumble with my phone for the perfect flatlay. Or maybe it's just an excuse to validate my outstandingly poor skills when it comes to taking pictures of food. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy my ramblings as well as this outfit.




0 comments

Instagram